Sunday, October 20, 2013

Peggy McIntosh- What's in your backpack?

Peggy McIntosh




White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible                                               Knapsack







    "Quotations"

" I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing                                in each day, but about which I was "meant" to remain oblivious"

Peggy McIntosh is talking about all of the advantages that white people have and they don't even recognize them as advantages. She compares the advantages as " special provisions, maps,passports,code books, visas, clothes, tools, and blank checks". There are many which in which white people have more advantages than those that are not white, simply because of the connotations of white privilege. In referring back to SCWAAMP, white, straight men are the at the top of privilege, most likely because it was this type of person who created the dominant ideologies within our society. Although, I myself am white, I can be considered to me less privileged than a man of my own race because I am a woman.


"I have often noticed men's unwillingness to grant that they are overprivileged, even though they may grant                                                      that women are disadvantaged"

Although, men recognize that they are in a position of power and openly admit that women are still viewed as inferior to them, yet they have done nothing to promote the fairness of women in the workplace and within society. To this current day, women still are making seventy cents less than men for the same work and having the same educational background. Naturally, men still hold the power within society but yet they are unwilling to modify it because it would bring them down to a scale where everyone is equal. This would cause a shift within the patriarchal society in which we live.



"I began to understand why we are justly seen as oppressive, even when we don't see ourselves that way. I began to the count the ways in which I enjoyed unearned skin privilege and have been conditioned into oblivion about its existence"

I found this quote to  be eye opening with regards to the blindness that I think all white people have, when it comes to our consumer life. I was amazing at how many different things are designed and made for white people that I am having a hard time coming up with a time in which I noticed something that was created for a person of color in comparison to "mainstream" society. Most likely because that is not how our society functions. I think when you start to actually look around and really pay attention then you will noticed how are consumer life is designed.






                                       So what's in your backpack?


1. I can walk into any C.V.S and have an entire aisle of shampoo and conditioners to choose from.
2. When I go shopping  I look for outfit ideas on the mannequin because it is similar to my body type.
3.I too, have no problem with finding band aids  for my skin tone
4. Society represents me





No comments:

Post a Comment